Municipal Administrators (CAO)

Under the authority of the Municipal Government Act, council must appoint a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). The CAO is the administrative head of the municipality and is responsible for the day to day operations of the municipality which includes managing municipal staff, preparing materials for council meetings, and acting as the primary advisor for council.  Council provides direction for the CAO through bylaws and policies. CAOs may have a number of different titles, such as Municipal Administrator, City or Town Manager, or County Commissioner.

Information for Chief Administrative Officers:

Municipal Advisory Services

Alberta Municipal Affairs provide support to municipal councillors and administrators in the form of workshops and advisory visits as follows:

Workshops may be provided upon the request of municipalities. Neighbouring municipalities are encouraged to coordinate regional sessions to ensure the attendance of approximately 20 - 40 participants for efficiency purposes and cost effectiveness. In specific instances, support sessions may be customized to accommodate specific needs of council or administration in a community. Municipal advisory services are presented at no charge to municipalities. Please call Municipal Advisory Services at 780-427-2225 - toll free by dialing 310-0000 first for more information.

Municipal Dispute Resolution Services

Whether your municipality is wanting to maintain strong working relationships, build partnerships, find proactive ways to manage conflict, deal with different perspectives when you are in the thick of it, or working on improving skills, the Municipal Dispute Resolution Services team provides innovative resources, workshops and programs that will help your municipality deal with issues in a proactive and collaborative manner.

Programs and services offered by the Municipal Dispute Resolution Services team include: funding for intermunicipal mediation services, Collaborative Governance Initiative for intra-municipal and inter-municipal collaboration, and education programs to build individual and organizational capacity in areas such as negotiation, communication, and public input. For more information, please visit the Municipal Dispute Resolution Services website at:

Municipal advisors are available to assist local government officials and the public with expert advice on all matters concerning  municipal administration, governance and finance. Advisors may be contacted during regular business hours by calling 780-427-2225 - toll free by dialing 310-0000 first.

  • Date modified: 2018-07-10