Information for Builders

What are my responsibilities?

If you are a builder who intends to construct homes in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (RMWB), you must complete a Residential Builder Declaration form. Information provided will be published on the RMWB Builder Registry as a resource for home owners who are planning to rebuild or build in the RMWB.

What information do I need to provide?

The declaration form requires you to provide information relating to residential construction history, financial indicators and outstanding fines an orders, and you must also provide and complete and accurate information regarding your understanding of applicable legislation and building codes. The declaration must be signed and witnessed by a Commissioner of Oaths, or Notary Public.

Incomplete or incorrect information could delay or prevent you from obtaining a building permit.

Will the information I submit be verified and evaluated?

Each declaration submitted will be checked for completeness. Once complete, the Residential Builder Declaration will be published online. If new information becomes available further review may be completed. Listing a builder on the RMWB Builder Registry is not a statement about the builder's reliability and quality. Builders and their declarations are listed so that consumers can assess options and make informed decisions. Consumers are recommended to do their own due diligence. The declarations are not vetted or endorsed by Municipal Affairs.

Information deemed to be false or superfluous (i.e., marketing material) may result in a rejected registration. Builders from whom a declaration and questionnaire have not been received will not be able to register new homes and will not be able to obtain building permits.

If you require assistance completing the form or have questions, please contact the New Home Buyer Protection Office at 1-866-421-6929.

Do I need to submit the information more than once?

No. You only need to submit a new declaration if there is a change in the information you provided. You must update the information originally provided, or add information if it was missing from the initial declaration.

What about if I am building a rental Property?

Some developers of rental properties hire a builder to construct rental properties while others will both build and develop the entire project. Regardless of the model, the builder must have completed the Residential Builder Declaration Form as the Builder listed on the Rental Exemption Application meets the definition of Residential Builder.

Do I still need to provide a warranty on reconstructed homes?

Yes. Reconstructions, renovations or secondary suite projects may require new home warranty as per the New Home Buyer Protection Act and the Registrar's Interpretation Bulletin on Reconstruction.

Where is the form?

The Residential Builder Declaration Form can be accessed here. Instructions and definitions are contained within the document.

Is there a cost to submit a Residential Builder Declaration Form?

There is no application fee to submit the Residential Builder Declaration Form and to have it reviewed for publication.

Tips for Accessing the Form?

In order to open the Residential Builder Declaration form, Adobe Reader must be installed on your computer and must be set as the default application for opening PDFs on your computer, as well as in your browser of choice. If you are having difficulty opening the form in a browser, download the PDF to your computer:

  • For Windows OS computer users, the technique is to right-click on the hyperlink. This will open a menu that will present save and/or download options such as “Save Target As”.
  • For Apple OS computer users working with a one-button mouse, the technique is to hold down the CTRL key while clicking the link. This will open a menu with save/download options.

Additional information about opening PDFs in a browser can be found here.

How do I submit the information?

The Completed forms must be printed, signed and witnessed by a Commissioner of Oaths or Notary Public. The original signed documents must be sent to the address below. Photocopies or scanned documents are not acceptable.

Please submit the original, signed documents to the following address:

New Home Buyer Protection Office
Alberta Municipal Affairs
16 Floor Commerce Place
10155 – 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta   T5J 4L4

I have additional questions. Who should I contact?

If you have additional questions please contact the New home Buyer Protection office at 1-866-421-6929 or email at

  • Date modified: 2017-10-13